Thursday, July 7, 2016

Screw The Loan! Buy What You Want Despite The Desi Rudeness Here To Stay For Decades

I booked an RE Electra in 2011. Since I had difficulty getting a loan approved, the RE dealer was nice enough to recommend a private financer. On the delivery day, when I went to fetch my bike, the RE dealer asked me to wait for one more day. Until this day I was constantly in touch with the sales executive who had attended me, but to my surprise nobody called me to ask me not to turn up at the showroom for the promised delivery. My natural reaction to this was WTF! Of course I didn't say the F word or any of its Indian language equivalents. I was instead rewarded by a response suggesting I "should wait since you anyway couldn't get the loan approved". I canceled my order. The RE dealer was once again very nice to write me a cheque to refund my money over the next few days. Even though I had to go to him twice for getting a different cheque since the owner had messed up his signatures earlier. He didn't refrain from jokingly asking whether I had tampered with the cheque. Anyway I got the refund and thanks to my stubbornness I never thought of buying an RE again. To date, I love the machine, despite the fact that the new generation doesn't feel as heavy, "royal" or fun compared to the ancestors.

Over the years, sometimes I cribbed about not going through with it to win an RE. I found myself a 'best friend' in Pulsar instead. Perhaps it was weak of me to give up on my choice like that. I could have gone to any other RE dealer. But does being strong mean giving in to the shit you're bombarded with in every other corner in India?

I feel proud to not own a vehicle from such a dealer.

PS: I was even told by the RE dealership owner at one point that RE is for "strong men" and not for the weak, for my whining over the delayed delivery.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP